Most homeowners don’t consider roofing issues, unless there’s a major problem. With years of use and unexpected weather damage, you might need to replace your roof, and the first step is to find a reliable roofing contractor. You can ask your friends and neighbors about local companies, but how can you compare them? In this post, we have discussed 6 suggestions that must be considered.
- Start with the basics. Look for roofing services that are licensed and bonded. You would be surprised to know that many companies don’t even have the required permissions to take up such jobs, while others just make money by selling contracts to subcontractors. A genuine company will have a physical address and essential papers.
- Insurance is important. Workplace injuries are pretty common in this industry, and you don’t want to pay for the medical bills of the workers. Make sure that the company has bonded workers and professionals with worker’s compensation insurance. Also, check if they have general liability insurance, which will cover possible damages caused to your home.
- Price is not everything. It is very enticing to choose a service that offers the lowest quote, but experience counts more than the price. A well-known company that has great market reputation should be given preference over others.
- Ask for a quote. Well, while experience and expertise counts, don’t work with a roofing contractor, unless you have a quote or estimate in hand. For roof replacement and repairs, the concerned service should inspect the condition and offer an estimate with all the relevant inclusions and taxes.
- Consider the response time. After a heavy storm, your roof might be vulnerable to other damages. You would need a company that can work at the earliest on the situation. This is where the response or turnaround time comes in consideration. A reliable roofing contractor will not take more than an hour to reach you, depending on the location.
- Read the contract in detail and don’t sign right away. If you are okay with the quote, you will get a contract, which must be signed before the work starts. Don’t miss the terms and conditions, and since we are talking about installing new roof, you need to know the applicable warranties. The company must have some sort of service guarantee.
Finally, take a moment to see the possibility of hidden charges, which are not very uncommon.